May 15, 2012

Posted by in Beauty | 0 Comments

Botox: How to Avoid Frozen Face Syndrome

Guest Post by Suki Han:

The truth is, you would never be able to identify 95% of Botox users. When done responsibly, Botox is a perfectly valid way to remove the appearance of wrinkles and deep lines in the forehead and around the eyes. Taken to extremes the other 5% of the time, Botox can leave patients with the dreaded “frozen face syndrome.”

The concept of what makes someone beautiful is an argument that varies largely by culture, time period, and individual tastes. In recent years, a phenomenon of cosmetic procedures have been developed and gained immense popularity in an effort to freeze or roll back the clock on the aging process. American media tells us that young is beautiful. Adults of all ages are now striving to have and maintain a youthful appearance.

The best known and most popular cosmetic wrinkle removing product is Botox. The makers of Botox say 11 million people have gone under the needle to experience wrinkle free skin. The process consists of injecting prescription medicine, made from a type of bacteria, directly into facial muscles in order to block nerve impulses to those muscles. The results are temporary but can take years off a face, and the majority of people who have the procedure use it as a cosmetic alternative to having intrusive plastic surgery.

Because results may be seen very quickly, it can be addicting and become a slippery slope about how much is too much when it comes to this procedure. When getting injections becomes a compulsion, it can have potentially dangerous repercussions. The spa and dermatology industries have come under heat for their handling of the Botox procedure with consumers. Some people are given as much Botox as they ask for, causing potential life long paralysis of muscles. Possibly most shocking of the Botox phenomenon is that it has even been used for cosmetic purposes on children. A California mom and part-time aesthetician has been heavily criticized for injecting her 8-year-old daughter with the drug in order to place better in beauty pageants.

Joan Rivers frozen face

The use of Botox is controversial with an array of strong opinions to be found. While many people use the procedure to quietly enhance their appearance, some celebrities are very open about their Botox experience. Actress Jenny McCarthy has gone on the record about her injections, saying that she is careful that her doctors don’t overdo the procedure and cause ‘frozen face’ syndrome, having no facial expressions. Comedian Joan Rivers is often exemplified as someone who has taken cosmetic procedures like Botox and plastic surgery to the extreme, and looks unnatural.

Though embraced by many, there are supermodels who say there is no need for cosmetic procedures. Aging supermodel Daphne Selfe is still walking catwalks and starring in campaigns at age 83. She told the UK’s Daily Mail that she hasn’t indulged in any cosmetic enhancements. Procedure-free Supermodel Heidi Klum also told the Daily Mail that, ‘I’m proud to be able to say, in this day and age, I haven’t done anything.’

The majority of people aren’t graced with supermodel genes, and some have taken the middle ground, which is choosing to age naturally with minor cosmetic enhancements. For some this means a little Botox now and again. Dr. Arthur Perry, author of Straight Talk About Cosmetic Surgery, notes that, “this powerhouse drug can improve appearance and restore confidence. I love Botox and so do my patients.” He adds, “Like all medical procedures, choose your doctor carefully, and don’t view Botox like you view a manicure.”

Suki Han writes from her office in Beverly Hills, CA on all things related to dermatology, cosmetic surgery, and healthy living. Suki recommends thoroughly discussing the benefits and risks involved with cosmetic Botox treatment with a dermatologist before deciding on the procedure.

Related posts:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>